Doctor of Philosophy Programme in Applied Linguistics (International Programme)
Doctor of Philosophy (Applied Linguistics) Ph.D. (Applied Linguistics)
Department of Language Studies School of Liberal Arts
King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi
Time to offer the programme
Plan A: Every semester
Deadline for application to study in the first semester is February 24 of every year.
Deadline for application to study in the second semester is August 31 of every year.
Plan B: Offered only in the second semester.
Deadline for application is August 31 of every year.
- The programme is full-time, two semesters in one academic year. The courses are conducted in English.
- The programme offers two plans.
Plan A is research-oriented. It focuses on researching to create new knowledge. The PhD candidates are required to take a 48-credit dissertation. They may take additional courses but they will not be counted as credits for graduation.
Plan B is research and taught courses. It focuses on conducting high quality research which brings about academic and professional progress. The PhD candidates are required to take a 36-credit dissertation and 12 credits of courses.
- Details of registration are as follows:
Plan A 48 credits of dissertation. The PhD candidates must pass the qualifying examination and submitting their research proposal in the first semester.
Plan B 12 credits of taught courses (2 compulsory courses in the first semester and 2 optional courses which are related to their research in the second semester) and 36 credits of dissertation. The PhD candidates must take all 4 courses within the first 2 semesters and prepare to take the qualifying examination. They must pass the qualifying examination before being allowed to register for dissertation and to submit their research proposal.
- The detailed credit breakdown is as follows.
Taught courses Reading Proposal Design Analysis Write-up Viva Total Plan A - 4 2 14 14 13 1 48 Plan B 12 4 2 10 10 9 1 48
- The PhD candidates are required to report their progress to the Postgraduate Committee of the Department of Language Studies every semester for evaluation to get credits.
- The dissertation accounts for 36 credits and it is supervised by 2 supervisors.
- PhD candidates are required to report their progress in a seminar which is held every semester
- From the second year of study, the PhD candidates are encouraged to present their research work in an international conference and to spend some time in an English speaking country in order to have exposure to English and use it in an English-language context. The PhD candidates can also work with professors in the universities that have contacts with KMUTT. The Department of Languages will partially sponsor this activity.
Duration of the study
3 years full time with an extension of up to 6 years, counted from the first semester of registration.
to 3 years full time with an extension of up to 5 years, counted from the first semester of registration.
Following the rules of Graduate Studies.